Sunday, 30 July 2017

'The VVitch' - Borko's movie review

THIS MOVIE IS ART

Here I am with yet another horror movie post, but this time a review on a movie I most recently had the chance to see and boy, oh boy, it was good. Like, good good. Amazingly good good, no, beyond that.
Nice curves, Anya
Anyway, let's get on with it, the movie was...

'The VVitch: A New-England Folktale'

...directed by Robert Eggers and starring my favourite newcomer actress Anya Taylor-Joy ('Split'; 'Morgan') in the main role.
This movie was literally the best horror film I've seen in quite some time now, probably one of my all time favourites, because it's goddamn brilliant, it's genius, it's overwhelmingly marvelous in virtually every way. 'The VVitch' was a film that was interesting from start to beginning and with each scene it became progressively more horrifying, more tense and harder to watch - it was wonderful. No cheap thrills, every scene was briliant.

What was it about?

First of all, I'd like to point out that 'The VVitch' is an astonishing suspenseful and tension-filled horror movie revolving around a New-England family that starts their life anew on their new farm somewhere near a forest and soon enough things get pretty damn shitty, 'cause viewers come to realize that the goddamn forest is where a bloody witch resides.

But why is it such an awesome movie anyway?

What's so genius and amazing about this movie is that there hardly is any gore, there aren't any jump scares and tropes that you would see in most cheap and dumb supernatural/gore horrors. Like, this isn't any horror movie. This is an incredibly unique and original horror that I encourage everyone interested in the genre or generally everyone who'd like to see a good movie to just watch.
Anya Taylor-Joy as Thomasin
'The VVitch' succeeds in everything it attempts to do and does it with absolute grace, it's flawless.  It slowly builds an intense and very unsettling atmosphere through an amazing cast, wonderful score and awesome an screenplay. The cast is right on point with, as I said, my favourite Anya Taylor-Joy as Thomasin - the eldest daughter of William and Katherine (played by the batshit crazy woman Lysa Arryn from Game of Thrones). The actors in this movie are beyond incredible and we see amazing performances by Anya Taylor-Joy and from Thomasin's little brother. They just bring a lot to the general atmosphere, to the movie and to its suspense.
Another great feature of the movie is its incredible directing and cinematography - every shot is beautiful, breathtaking and just gets the viewer's attention and quite literally grabs him by the throat, hardly leaving him throughout the entire runtime.
One of the greatest highlights of the movie to me personally is its score/soundtrack. Oh my god that shit was glorious, it had me terrified and practically is responsible for how genius this movie generally is.
Even the movie's colors were great, because they fitted the overall mood of the characters, the film's tone and were basically a reflection of the characters' feelings and what was going on around them.
Another thing I'd like to say is that I really loved how the character of the witch was built. Virtually, the witch was presented as a haunting threat, something that doesn't directly go out and murder the family, but rather corrupts it indirectly, causing it to break apart.
An evil demon hare right from the film

Final thoughts?

I thought that the movie was great, 10/10 and I recommend it to everyone who'd like to see a very good, meaningful movie. If you expect to see a cheap horror with jump scares and all-round gore, this definitely isn't the movie for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment