Sunday, 27 August 2017

'Atomic Blonde' - Borko's film review

Yup. Another Charlize Theron action movie after Mad Max:Fury Road. After this one this one hell of a woman is surely an A-list action actress, because, damn, she's great.
I've been anticipating to see this movie as soon as I heard that Charlize Theron will be in the main role, since you know, I love her a lot as an actress (she's Leo too hehe) and after a while I got the chance to see it at the cinema.

Summary

'Atomic Blonde' is David Leitch's directorial debut and stars Charlize Theron as Lorraine Broughton, the main protagonist, and James McAvoy as David Percival, the baddie (with John Goodman and an impressive ensemble on the supporting side). Basically the movie's about a British smoking-hot agent slash spy thrown by MI6 in Berlin amidst the fall of the Berlin Wall to retrieve a list of missing double agents and to beat up some really bad people. What shines about this movie is, of course, the acting, its overall stylish and original look, its score, the directing of the action scenes and cinematography - it certainly was a well-looking movie. What I found lacking, though, or simply not as good, was the plot.

One of the first scenes and I absolutely loved it

A pretty movie

First of all, I'd like to talk about the stylistic values of the movie. Style-wise the movie was insanely awesome, I mean, it was beautiful, fresh and original and had lots of thematically appropriate features like for example the spray painted credits and text (time stamps throughout the movie, etc.) and the cinematographically-constructed atmosphere really put some emphasis on the main character's personality and emotions, which to me was a very nice touch. I really enjoyed how the soundtrack worked for the film and how it was intertwined with the cinematography and the movie's effects. The directing was pretty good overall and I definitely would like to see more from David Leitch, because I really enjoyed his touch on the action genre, since it wasn't the usual action scene-shaky camera thing going on in nowadays' action movies. His directing combined with the beautiful cinematography resulted in a very good and exceptionally gorgeous movie, despite the plot being somewhat weak.

Mrs. Theron kicking some ass

An insanely good ensemble cast

God, oh god. This handful of actors really made the whole movie work. Charlize Theron literally owns the fucking movie and you really kind of get into her character's skin, especially during the fight scenes where when she gets punched in the face you'd be like 'oh, no, this hurts me too, crap, she's so good' and like, even though it's not exactly spoken about, you really feel her character's pain, despite it being covered under years of espionage. Another peak point for the movie was James McAvoy. I love this guy. He's amazing. Probs one of my most favourite actors nowadays. That dude really knows how to do his job. Props to him, though I don't think he'd ever have a better movie than M. Night Shyamalan's 'Split'. John Goodman is always nice to be seen on screen - almost like a warm hug, especially with that beard he has going. Oh, and the what's-his-name guy from Wayward Pines and the computer baddie from the second Captain America - he's kinda weird, kinda cool as always. Overall an awesome cast. OH AND I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT SOFIA BOUTELLA. I loved her scenes. They were smoking hot and I really can't wait to see more movies with her, because she's amazing in this one as well. She nailed those lesbian sex scenes with Theron's character, and that one action scene with McAvoy's character too. Loved it.

The chemistry between Boutella's and Theron's characters was amazing

A not as good plot

The plot surely wasn't as atomic as Charlize Theron's hair colour. I just felt it got kind of lost in the awesome action scenes and it was just being dragged around from one scene to another without really knowing what it wants. I mean, I just didn't really see what the main goal of the plot was. Was it to retrieve the list with the agents' names? Or was it to find the double agent Satchel? Or to fight Soviet spies? Or maybe to rescue the Spyglass agent guy? I just felt so lost thinking about it and then I thought to myself that I should just enjoy the awesome gorgeously-looking movie with all the amazing and breathtaking fight scenes rather than focusing on understanding the plot, because, after all, you know that it's an action movie and plot isn't exactly the strongest part about those movies.

Conclusion

Despite the somewhat weak plot, I found the movie immensely entertaining and I also had my needs for aesthetic pleasure greatly satisfied, which is always good. So anyway! If you're looking for a fun film to watch, a very intense action film, or a movie involving good acting and a pretty look, 'Atomic Blonde' is for you.
Kicking some more ass

No comments:

Post a Comment