Monday, 7 August 2017

'Dunkirk' (2017) - Borko's film review

My god, how should I even begin? Of course I've been anticipating to see this film, after watching some reviews on it in Youtube and I got very excited to see what might Christopher Nolan bring to a war movie and damn, I had HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE expectations and what's funny is that not only did the movie completely meet my expectations, but it absolutely obliterated them lolzzz.

Semi-summary

Anyway, let's start off with some summary of the plot (spoiler-free ofc). Basically from 00:00 till the end of the movie we're immersed in World War II-torn Dunkirk, you know, the place where Britain evacuated thousands of French and British soldiers - right now you might 'hey, that sounds pretty borderline boring and done before, remember Saving Private Ryan??? literally the same, right??' Weeeeell, not exactly. What's so interesting about this movie besides everything else that it does in a genius way, is that it is about WAR and not about some certain characters, it literally represents war, but in a very interesting, original and extremely impactful way. I mean, no, we don't really root for any of the characters and aren't really invested in them and in their development, but what does movie this is to make us be a part of this warfare, of the soldier's tragedies.

Did anybody say 'characters'?

We don't really care about Harry Styles's or Tom Hardy's characters, but we do care about the people, the soldiers that are going through all this. That, combined with an astonishing soundtrack by the magnificent Hans Zimmer and the brilliant directing of Christopher Nolan, results in an absolutely enthralling war movie, as I see it, probably the best one.

GUYS IT'S HARRY STYLES OMG SHOOK AF

About the plot

Let's talk a bit about the plot, because it's another interesting and very characteristic thing about the film. The plot is non-linear and, how do I put it, there are practically 3 different chronotopes and all of them are placed in the universe of Dunkirk (they're actually presented in the beginning). So one is 'The Mole', another is 'The Sea' and the last one is 'The Air' and each one has different characters and different stories developing. All of this is very interesting, because near the ending all of these different chronotopes converge into one and basically all of the characters meet and plot points combine into one and it's really amazing, it's hard to explain, you should see it tbh.

Pheeeooooooow

Wonderful things happen here

Another thing I'd like to discuss is how this movie was shot. The cinematography is absolutely breathtaking and every shot and scene are mind-bogglingly beautiful, the colours are amazing and the whole movie is shot in a very inspired and wonderful way. I'm really impressed by the effects in this movie because it doesn't use absolutely any CGI, it relies on real ships, real planes and so on, and the extras that were in this movie were like thousands lol, you should've seen the credits :DDDDD. All of this combined with the genius mind of Christopher Nolan and all the amazing acting and soundtrack results in a very realistic, immersing, interesting and brilliant experience. What's more, I love the fact that Nolan knows exactly how long to make a scene, not too short and not too long, just perfect to make you feel it. That dude's genius, hands down.

This was actually so impressive I mean it's literally hundreds of ppl??

Private Ryan who? Who dis?

Moreover, I really loved that the movie was kind of light compared to other war movies like the aforementioned Saving Private Ryan, maybe due to the fact that it's rated PG-13 and there's much blood or graphic content (probably so more people can watch it, including kids). Some people might consider that a fault, because 'DUDE IT'S A WAR MOVIE, IT SHOULD SHOW SOME BLOOD AND GRAPHIC STUFF LIKE FLYING LIMBS, YA KNOW?!?!', but I really couldn't disagree more, because in this movie the flying limbs aren't what makes you feel the tragedy and the grief, the desire for survival and to go home that all of these soldiers are experiencing and that's what's so thrilling about this genius picture, not jumping heads. 

In conclusion

Anyway, to conclude, I'd like to say that I absolutely loved this movie and I strongly recommend it to everyone who's looking for an exceptionally good and exciting movie (and who can appreciate such). And also definitely see it at the cinema if you have the chance, it's absolutely worth it, trust me.

2 comments: